*Blog post updated 11th January 2021.
From the very beginning, my dream for Studio Melissa Louise has been to bring people together, to connect with one another through creativity – I didn’t know how this would be possible or what we would do when gathered but through reflection, trust and a little push we have launched a candle making workshop. It seems obvious now when looking back, I have been candle making for 4 years – how did this not come to me sooner but alas here we are…
Heading into our 3rd year of workshops we have touched over 200 lives with the joy of candle making, through our experience we have pieced together and fine tuned this unique experience for you to enjoy. Perfect for kitchen teas, team building or a solo break-away from everyday chaos.
Pop us a mail for larger groups but for the once a month workshops we have decided to keep the workshop groups intimate, only 5-10 seats per workshop, to ensure each person gets the needed attention, this also allows for maximum Q&A time and overall a wholesome experience.
The SML Candle Making workshop is a hands-on 3-hour workshop hosted in Salt River, Cape Town. We will cover the basics of candle making with a fundamental focus on hand poured vegan soy wax scented massage candles. This workshop is based on our personal experience and how we use traditional craftsmanship with pure ingredients to create a top quality product that burns sustainably, smells divine and is also a nourishing massage oil.
Then we will take your physical product into the digital world, we will share the basics on how to create a personal brand with a focus on Instagram as a platform. This will include photo editing tools, our favourite apps and tips on how to maximise your engagement.
In the workshop we will cover the following:
– An introduction to candle making.
– Different types of candles.
– Methods of candle making.
– The benefits of soy wax.
– Blending essential oils.
– Candle making equipment and care thereof.
– Stockists details.
– How to create a personal brand with a focus on Instagram.
What will be provided?
– Candle making equipment and tools, soy wax, essential oils, 2x candle vessels and an apron (These are your to use for the day but please leave it behind at the end of the workshop. There will be candle making kits for sale, R950.00, at the workshop for you to purchase and take home if you’d like. You can pay with snapscan or cash.)
– Bubbly on arrival.
– Snacks and refreshments – please send through any dietary requirements you may have.
You will take home:
– A candle making workshop booklet, with two pull out motivational posters.
– 2 x personalised handcrafted scented massage candles. (Each candle is hand poured to roughly 200ml and has an estimated burning time of 50 hours. Size: 9cm height X 7cm diameter. Valued at R280 each.)
BOOK YOUR SEAT FOR OUR NEXT WORKSHOP HERE.
Prefer to make candles in the comfort of your own home? Now you can! Join our online candle making community here. *We recommend that you purchase our candle making starter kit along with our candle making course to ensure you have all the equipment you need to get started on your candle making journey at home.
Written & compiled by Melissa Lawrence. Photographed by Fiona Joy Photography.